tour proposals - The great Tauern tour
Großglockner Hochalpenstraße - Maltatal - Nockberge -Turrach - Sölkpass - Bad Aussee
(distance approx. 610 kilometers / 380 miles): 2 - 3 days trip
open large map
When, if ever, did you climb up by bike more then 2.500 meters, looking to the highest mountain of Austria, with 3.798 meters?
After 36 switchbacks? When in your life have you crossed the dam of a hydro power plant in an altitude of more than 1.900 meters ? When did you have to stop because of a herd of cattles or sheep?
You want to visit tue first private Porsche Museum in a small village in Upper Carinthia where the legendary James Dean Porsche, the 356 Nr. 1 was built after the end of worldwar 2 ? Dont dream it, do it now with us!
Here is a surprise for you:
- Starting from Salzburg south via Anif on the B 160 you pass Berchtesgaden - Lofer - Zell am See and arrive Bruck an der Glocknerstraße after 1,5 hours. Going up the 36 turnings of the Großglockner High Alpin Highway you arrive Franz Josefshöhe and will have an unforgettable view around , you will not be able to count the 3.000 Meter peaks.
- Carrying on southwards you will reach around lunch time the picturesque Village Heiligenblut on the Carinthian side of the Großglockner.
- Try the fantastic Kärntner Kasnocken, a high alpin cheese speciality of the hard working former wood workers.
- After that experience drive down to Winklern and follow the B 106 through the Möll Valley, Obervellach to Spittal where you keep left, direction Salzburg and reach after 30 Minutes Gmünd. Take accomodation in one of the lovely small hotels.
- Visit in the afternoon the famous Porsche Museum of Mr. Helmut Pfeifhofer with some extraordinary types of Porsche cars. Did you know, that the legendary first Porsche B 356 Nr. 1 was built her in 1948 (because Porsche was forced from Adolf Hitler in 1944 to move from Stuttart to this quiered and unknown place)?
- Next day, after a good breakfest in Gmünd you are ready for the Maltatal Hochalmstraße, which brings you up to Austrias highest dam ,the incredible Kölnbreinsperre. A dam, 200 meters high, 8 meters thick, ending at an altitude of 1902 meters and built of 1,58 Million Cubicmeters of concrete. Damming a Volume of 200 Million Cubicmeters of water, producing a maximum Power of 577 000 000 Kilowatthours.
- That turn will exite you for half a day, afterwards go back to Gmünd, keep left and carry on to, along the River Lieser (direction Katschberg and Salzburg), Kremsbrücke .
- Turn right here and follow the signs to "Nockalmstrasse". The National Park Nockalm with its green meadows and gentle Hills is a green Natur reservoire and at the same time a bikers paradise. Along 34 kilometers you collect unforgettable impressions of an untouched Mountain area.
- Go down to Ebenau Reichenau and turn left to Turracherhöhe. If you want to prolongate yout trip for a further day, do it here. Richard and Elke Prodinger in Schlosshotel Seewirt at Turrach will host you with hospitality and home-style cooking.
- From Turrach carry on northwards to Predlitz in the Mur Valley, turn right to Murau, left to Schöder and up to Sölkpass.
- This pass is part of an old Roman Road and was restructured by the Austrian archduke Erzherzog Johann in the 19th century. A small road, sometimes cows and horses on it, nature pure and a very authentic Pub on the crest of this wonderful road. Called, of course, Erzherzog Johann Hütte.
- Driving northwards down to Gröbming you keep right and follow the Ennstal Road to Irdning, turn left here to Bad Aussee, which you will reach around lunch time.
- It really would be worth to stay here for a further day. Lakes around, like the Lake Altausseersee, the Lake Grundlsee and, above the eastern end of Grundlsee, the mystic Lake Toplitzsee (a 30 Minute walk from the village Gössl) , where expeditions and adventurers try since decades to find all the Nazi - Gold which should be hidden on bottom of the lake since 1944. Nobody found it till today, so maybe its your turn?
- The way back from Bad Aussee to Salzburg you can do directly via Bad Ischl (the summer residence of the last Austrian -Hungarian Emperor) , St. Gilgen (on the wonderful Lake Wolfgangsee and the Weisses Rössl) , Lake Fuschl (with the impressive architecture of the Red Bull Head Quarter) or choose, depending on time and weather, one of our suggests from our former tour proposals.
back to overview
A-5081 Anif / Salzburg
HOTLINE: +43(0)699 150 600 15